We are a privately-held, clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel therapeutics for the treatment of a range of diseases that result from dysfunctional metabolic pathways, such as the liver disease non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH, and certain cancers. Our lead product candidate, TVB-2640, is a proprietary, oral, first-in-class selective inhibitor of the cellular enzyme fatty acid synthase, or FASN. In June 2020, we announced positive topline results in our FASCINATE-1 Phase 2 trial of TVB-2640 in NASH patients. Our investors include NEA, Kleiner Perkins, Rock Springs and our strategic partner, Ascletis.
We are seeking a highly motivated Controller / Vice President of Finance to lead our finance department in a fast-growing, lean environment. The position is primarily responsible for financial reporting, all internal accounting functions and controls, treasury, and tax. Depending upon qualifications, the opportunity to expand include FP&A. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
A successful candidate will be a finance professional who has a detailed understanding of how a company’s resources can (and should) be used to achieve its strategic goals. This individual will excel at reporting financial information in a clear and concise way and is adept at financial modeling. Public-company experience will be relevant as Sagimet grows. Finally, intellectual curiosity in science and medicine will allow this candidate to thrive in our start-up environment that is flat and highly cross-functional.
While we are a relatively small company today, we are planning for the future; and the Controller / Vice President ofFinance will be a key player in setting up Sagimet for future success, with opportunities to grow both upward and across the company.
Key responsibilities of the core Controller role include the following:
- Oversee all aspects of timely and accurate monthly and annual close processes, including clinical trial accruals, preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations
- Prepare monthly and quarterly internal management reporting package, including preparing variance and fluctuation analysis
- Manage technical accounting activities in-line with recent GAAP pronouncements, drafting of technical accounting memos, and implementing new FASB Standards
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal controls and processes to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting
- Manage the preparation and submission of federal and state income tax returns, coordinate the completion of appropriate DE Franchise, property, sales and use, payroll, and other local tax business license filings
- Responsible for all aspects of annual audited financial statements
- Coordinate external audits/reviews and outsourced tax support – manage deadlines, preparation and submission of requested schedules, act as a point of contact
- Provide support in drafting and reviewing financing documents
- Manage general accounting, payroll and accounts payable functions
- Coordinate requirements and renewal of various insurance, including directors & officers, clinical trial, property, and general liability
Additional responsibilities of the Vice President of Finance role including the following:
- Lead the preparation of long term forecast and annual operating plan, including developing and analyzing the assumptions used to determine revenue, operating expenses and capital expenditures
- Work with functional teams to monitor expense drivers and identify opportunities for performance improvement across the organization
- Develop and maintain detailed spreadsheets to track key areas of spend associated with our drug development pipeline, including clinical trials (CRO fees, patient and investigator costs), CMC costs, headcount and consultants, etc.
- Develop models and provide financial analysis that helps with decision-making
Experience should include:
- 8+ years ofrelevant experience required
- Exposure to pharmaceuticals or biotechnology industry with specific experience in clinical trial accruals preferred
- Public company accounting experience required, IPO experience a plus
- Bachelors degree required in Accounting or related field
- CPA preferred
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.